Overall Aims of the English Language Education Curriculum
The Subject Target of English is for learners to develop an ever-improving capability to use English:
- to think and communicate;
- to acquire, develop and apply knowledge;
- to respond and give expression to experience;
and within these contexts, to develop and apply an ever-increasing understanding of how language is organized, used and learned.
Features of English curriculum
- The English literacy programme, Primary Literacy Programme – Reading and Writing (PLP-R/W), is carried out in P.1 and P.2. Students’ writing skills are developed through reading activities inside and outside the classroom.
- 3 to P.6 students have one to two lessons with ELTAs every week. The lessons are conducted in an interactive and fun way so that students can practise their speaking and communication in English with native English speakers.
- E-learning is promoted in Key Stage 2 (P.4 to P.6) to facilitate self-learning and enhance teaching and learning effectiveness.
- English activities such as festival-related games and English Day are held to increase students’ exposure to English beyond the textbook contents and help them learn English in a fun way.
Foci of Subject Development in 2018-2019
- Under the PEEGS fund, school based e-learning materials will be developed in Key Stage 2. Through incorporating e-learning elements into different stages of English lessons, we aim at enhancing students’ motivation, strengthening interaction among students and teachers, and facilitating feedback.
- Cooperation with local institutions and an overseas primary school will be continued. We will invite foreign exchange students and students from a Singaporean primary school to visit our school and conduct English activities with our students. Students can take this opportunity to practise English. Also, we will organise an overseas study trip so that students can be exposed to an authentic English environment.
- School-based phonics programme will be launched in P.1 at the beginning of the school year to develop students’ confidence and proficiency in reading and improve their spelling.
English Activities in 2017-2018
E-learning in English lessons
Visit by exchange students from PolyU
Visit by students from Fernvale Primary School in Singapore
Study trip to Singapore and visit to Fernvale Primary School
Book sharing in assemblies
1.General English & grammar
(Books read by native speakers)
(Online magazine for primary students)
Learning websites for different levels
(The links in the table will be updated monthly based on different learning topics.)