Overall Aims of the English Language Education Curriculum
The Subject Target of English is for learners to develop an ever-improving capability to use English:
- to think and communicate;
- to acquire, develop and apply knowledge;
- to respond and give expression to experience;
and within these contexts, to develop and apply an ever-increasing understanding of how language is organized, used and learned.
- The English literacy programme, Primary Literacy Programme – Reading and Writing (PLP-R/W), is carried out in P.1 and P.2. Students’ writing skills are developed through reading activities inside and outside the classroom.
- P.3 to P.6 students have one to two lessons with ELTAs every week. The lessons are conducted in an interactive and fun way so that students can practise their speaking and communication in English with native English speakers.
- E-learning is promoted in Key Stage 2 (P.4 to P.6) to facilitate self-learning and enhance teaching and learning effectiveness.
- English activities such as festival-related games and English Day are held to increase students’ exposure to English beyond the textbook contents and help them learn English in a fun way.
Foci of Subject Development in 2019-2020
- School based e-learning materials will be developed continuously in Key Stage 2. Through incorporating e-learning elements into different stages of English lessons, we aim at enhancing students’ motivation, strengthening interaction among students and teachers, and facilitating feedback. In addition, e-learning will be introduced in Key Stage 1.
- School-based phonics programme will be launched in P.1 and P.2 to develop students’ confidence and proficiency in reading and improve their spelling.
- Create an English language rich environment in school to expose students to more English outside the classroom.
English Activities in 2018-2019
E-learning in English lessons
P.1 Phonics Lesson
Making Cake in NET Lesson
Visit by students from Fernvale Primary School in Singapore
Study trip to Singapore and visit to Fernvale Primary School
Interviewing tourists in Tsim Sha Tsui
Inter-class quiz competition
This is a newly developed school based webpage for students to do self-learning at home. Please click on the link or scan the QR code to browse the webpage.